CALL OUT FOR EXHIBITIONS & PROJECTS
February - June 2018
Sawtooth ARI is an Artist Run Initiative based in Launceston, Tasmania, that aims to present a quality program of contemporary art exhibitions, projects and events that challenges both artists and audiences. It encourages submissions from local, national and international artists looking to show in an environment supportive of experimentation, and seeks to be a catalyst for a stronger engagement with contemporary art from a broader spectrum of society. It aims to grow its audience and be a financially sustainable, well-governed, and learning-based organisation.
• strength and innovation of the proposed exhibition/ project
• a demonstrated contemporary and experimental arts practice
• relevance to Sawtooth’s community of practitioners and audience members
GALLERY SPACES (see floor plan below)
• Front Gallery $825
• Middle Gallery $650
• Project Gallery $350
• Dark Space Gallery $550
• Gate Space Gallery $400
• Exhibitions run for a three-week period with a one-week turn around.
• Proposed exhibitions can include more than one gallery space.
• Exhibiting artists are required to sit the gallery on one Saturday or pay the one-off fee of $60 to cover a sitter.
• Secondary students are not eligible for this call out, but are invited to become involved in the Threshold program. Artists currently enrolled in an undergraduate tertiary arts degree are only eligible to apply for the Project Gallery and Gate Space Gallery
• Commercial galleries and non ARI projects will be charged a higher rent fee.
• Sawtooth membership is included in rent fee.
• Openings are concurrent; i.e. one shared opening will take place for all gallery spaces.
• Sawtooth committee and volunteers will operate a bar on opening night.
• Exhibiting artists are to install their work themselves. Gallery technicians can be pre-arranged through Sawtooth to assist with hanging at the artist’s expense.
EQUIPMENT HIRE for the length of the exhibition (subject to availability)
• Projector x2: $50 each
• Plasma TV x2: $30 each
• 42” Ultra HD TV x4: $40 each
• DVD x5: $10 each
• Floating Shelving: 30cm X 30cm x2: $5 each
• Floating Shelving: 30cm X 60cm x2: $7 each
• Floating Shelving: 30cm X 90cm x2: $9 each
• A completed application form
• A one page Artist CV OR one page Curator CV + brief bio per artist in proposed exhibition
• Project proposal – please limit to 1 page
• 4-6 images of artwork (jpeg or PDF submitted on CD or via email - please limit to 1MB per image if submitted separately)
Applications must be e-mailed, hand delivered or postmarked on or before: 11.59pm, Sunday 10th of September, 2017 Late submissions will not be considered. For ease of assessment it is preferable to submit applications and support material via email formatted into a single PDF.
Exhibition proposals are made to the Sawtooth Board and are considered on their merit and availability of dates, in order to present a diverse gallery program of high standards.
EMAIL SUBMISSIONS Email proposals to: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly label all attachments preferably sent as 1 PDF, less than 4MB. Subject: 2018 Artistic Program Proposal
HAND DELIVERED SUBMISSIONS First Floor, 160 Cimitiere St, Launceston 12-5 Wed-Fri / 12-4 Sat
POSTAL SUBMISSIONS PO Box 1614, Launceston TAS 7250
Any enquiries can be made to the Director, Paul Eggins via email email@example.com